search

Monday, November 9, 2009

R.I.P. to the Wild Cats of Rock

Death, in its many versions and forms, is too much for any metaphor to encapsulate. I've been trying to think of one for the past five minutes and the simplest one I can think of is a slap in the face. It stings, it hurts, but it wakes you up to reality, which in turn, has its own stinging and hurting.

I just heard about the "death" of one of my favorite bands -- Aerosmith. According to http://www.guardian.co.uk/, Guitarist Joe Perry has confirmed that "Steven (Tyler, Vocalist) quit as far as I can tell".

It really saddens me to see bands like Aerosmith go, but I know that they all have to go sometime. I mean, I'd rather have one band "die" or split up than fade into obscurity and obsoletion. But then again, since the members are still techincally still alive, who knows that there won't be a next time?

However, I'm a bit iffy about this little bit from Perry: "We'll probably find somebody else and then we'll be able to move Aerosmith up a notch." Sure, other great vocalists may have replaced some bands' iconic singers like Ronnie James Dio (for post-Ozzy Black Sabbath), Sammy Hagar (for post-David Lee Roth Van Halen), but in these days of lower standards, it becomes far more difficult to just pluck someone out of obscurity as a catalyst to lift the band "a notch higher". Case in point: INXS.

Should they get a new vocalist that is already famous to begin with, may or may not make it for them. This will probably result in either end of the extremes: either they'll be so great that they bring back the rock as it was meant to be (wailing, booming, shredding and banging) or they flop so hard they'll go into permanent hibernation.

This is just me upset, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment