search

Monday, November 16, 2009

For the Love of ...

There's a little old saying that goes: "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone". Ha. This is just me being nostalgic, I guess. Or maybe it's me having the case of separation anxiety. Or maybe both. I don't know exactly.

Back when SISIG (see greatest unknown band ever to rock) was still active, I would sometimes just sit quiet in a corner (having no instrument to play) and listen to the fantastic chaos of cosmic solos and staccato-legatto see-saw between Nuts (guitarist), Ced (same), Ernie (also), Gerald (ditto) and the bass-booming of Cha or Martin with the Parapapampamming of Carlo or Bitoy. More often than not, Time would lose its face as it became one of the many concepts frozen in awe of the wonderful wizardy of the guys.

Though at times it would be awkward and embarrassing that I do not know that song, while continue to paint the air with their music. There was this one song of which, until recently, I did not know the title. But because it had been played so often during jams, I had learned to appreciate, despite its lack of lyrics. Even until this day, Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" still takes me back to jamming days with SISIG, without a single care and ounce of pain. The magic of the song transcends all definition and logic. The arrangement, notes and sheer awesomeness of this immortal music piece drops my jaw everytime.




This version of the song particularly blows my mind as THE MR. VAI integrates classical instruments and band setup with his magical rock. I have always been a fan of integration and remakes, as SISIG would find new ways to play with the old, even if just among ourselves.

One day ... Someday... Hopefully soon... AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment